Monday, June 1, 2009

Self Introduction Assignment

I have 30 years experience in computer software and hardware development, testing and deployment. I began as a software engineer using Basic, Fortran, COBOL, SPL, SPSS, C, C++, and proprietary systems. I moved on to Project Management of software implementations for government, military and commercial applications. Most recently I directed medical software development for a doctor’s office management, billing, and insurance product. Prior to that I managed data capture systems using hardcopy-scanner for credit card, insurance, medical, tax and fund-raising applications, and Mission Planning Systems for the V-22 and AV-8 aircraft, and the MH-53 Minesweeping Planning System. I’ve worked with most operating system DOS, UNIX, Windows on IBM, VAX, HP and other systems but somehow never worked very much with MAC systems. My advisor at the COE office advised me that I met the Computer Competency requirement.

My educational experiences began as the oldest of 5 kids, but more formally in high school and college as a tutor, student teaching assistant and volunteering at on-campus counseling. While working as an software engineer and project manager, I developed most of the training programs for the program rollouts and often conducted the training classes. In the last year, I became the caregiver for a 5 year-old girl. Having the time I volunteered in her class, kindergarten, and other classes. I was also drafted for field trips and spent several weeks volunteering at the Christmas store and the book sales at the school. My wife completed the CSUSM COE Multi-Subject Middle School Program while I was doing this. I spent the rest of my days making sure she could just focus on her classes. Despite seeing what she went through first hand, I decided to follow my dream of teaching that I had been postponing for 30 years. I am currently taking the three pre-requisite courses in summer session 1 and starting the Multi-Subject Elementary program in the Science, Math and Technology cohort this Fall.

I want to become proficient with the Macintosh system as I have little prior experience with it. I've worked with the Internet before but need to expand my knowledge of Web 2.0. Having prior computer knowledge is useful, but I want to learn about software and hardware as it specifically applies to teaching and how students can utilize it for learning.
I have a few other interests as well.
It is fluroite plate from a mine we have worked for the last 10 years in Northern England. There are great pictures and info at the website: http://www.ukminingventures.com/.

Wordle.net


8 comments:

  1. Hey Bill,
    It seems like you have a lot of experience with computers already so maybe we will have to go to you for help in class! Also, love the picture from your mine! And don't worry, we will all work together on the Macs!
    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have decided that free time was passe since you are taking all three prereqs at the same time as well. I enjoy your sharing during 364 since you have had so many interesting experiences. Is that a giant chunk of amethyst you are holding up in the photo? I know that the Stewart Mines is famous for its lapidolite, but I forget what kind of industry it is used in. I look forward to talking to you rock hound to vodoo plant gatherer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are an experienced programmer! I recieved my BS in Math with a minor in Computer Science in 2008. I have coded in many languages as well including C++, Java, Python, and assembly languages. And I too am taking all three pre-reqs the first term of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great you are finally following your dream. Sometimes just starting is the hard part or finding time to starting. It is cool you went mining I have gone panning before and that was fun. I did find a really nice ruby. I went to Yellowstone, but the rubies are not as good as South Carolina. They were crazed and fractured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three classes in 5 weeks. We are on the same journey. Fun to meet a fellow world traveler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am pursuing a second career as a teacher. Getting back to school after many years is not the easiest...you are braver than I, however, taking all three pre-reqs at once. The pictures you have up are great and it's fun to hear about your varied experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved hearing you comment in class you wanted to learn everything you can--not just because it's necessary for a class assignment. Taking so many classes at once, it might be tempting to minimize your efforts. Glad to have you in class with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't really do programming these days, but your strong background in computers can surely help you grasp new tools for teaching and learning. I encourage you to think about the appropriate role of technology in education.

    Rong-Ji

    ReplyDelete